Maratha Leader Manoj Jarange Begins Fierce Hunger Strike at Mumbai’s Azad Maidan Demanding Reservation

Maratha Leader Manoj Jarange Begins Fierce Hunger Strike at Mumbai’s Azad Maidan Demanding Reservation

August 30, 2025

Maratha quota leader Manoj Jarange took a bold step on Friday by starting an indefinite hunger strike at Azad Maidan in south Mumbai. He vowed with fiery passion, “I will die, but won't back down this time. We will not leave Mumbai till our demands are met.” He began fasting at 10 am, sending waves of energy through thousands of supporters clad in saffron caps, scarves, and flags. The protest caused major traffic jams across Mumbai's southern and eastern parts. Office-goers struggled as vehicles crawled near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT), making commuting to Nariman Point and Crawford Market a tough task. At 9:45 am, Jarange arrived at Azad Maidan to a grand welcome from his cheering crowd. Addressing them passionately, he said, “I will not go back until our demands are met. I will not retreat even if I am shot dead.” His fearless words stirred the crowd. Jarange demanded Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis “show his commitment to Marathas through his actions.” He added, “If the state government agrees to our demands, we will withdraw the agitation. But you have to be sincere or else, the Marathas will show their power to both the state and centre governments.” The leader blamed the government’s “lack of cooperation” for forcing the community to march to Mumbai. However, he stressed peaceful protest: “Now that the government has allowed the protest, we must cooperate with the police and ensure that we do nothing that tarnishes the community's image.” He urged supporters to park carefully and keep Mumbai’s roads clear. “Clear the streets in two hours and ensure Mumbaikars are not troubled. Those who want to leave the city today can do so,” he said. Jarange revealed the police allowed him only one day for the protest. He pleaded, “We want the government to grant us reservation and accept all our demands.” The core demand: a 10% quota for Marathas in the Other Backward Classes (OBC) category by recognizing all Marathas as Kunbis—an agrarian caste already in OBC. This would open doors for government jobs and education reservations. The journey started on Wednesday from Antarwali Sarati village in Jalna district. As Jarange entered Mumbai early Friday, thousands followed with vehicles and cheers. Mumbai police allowed the protest from 9 am to 6 pm, but officials fear the crowd won’t disperse easily. Police set strict limits—only five protest vehicles and under 5,000 people at Azad Maidan—but many more showed up, signaling a showdown possible soon. Top leaders weighed in: Maharashtra ministers Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil and Chandrashekhar Bawankule expressed willingness to talk and promised sympathy. But BJP council member Parinay Fuke warned against unconstitutional demands that could spark wider OBC protests. Deputy CM Eknath Shinde said Marathas are not demanding a quota share from existing OBC seats. Shiv Sena (UBT) chief Uddhav Thackeray urged the government, “The protesters are not terrorists and they have come to Mumbai not for rioting but for justice.” BJP spokesperson Keshav Upadhye blamed the Opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi for ‘inaction’ on the Maratha quota, targeting leaders Sharad Pawar, Uddhav Thackeray, and Congress. Several Opposition MPs and legislators visited Jarange to show support. Even heavy morning rains could not dampen the protesters’ spirits. Many took shelter at CSMT and nearby spots, but countless brave souls stayed firm at Azad Maidan. A Central Railway official cautioned passengers to travel to CSMT only if necessary due to huge crowds. This hunger strike is Jarange’s seventh protest since 2023. Earlier in January, he ended a fast after six days following BJP MLA Suresh Dhas’s intervention. But he warned then, “This time, we will not return empty-handed.” With his fierce hunger strike underway, the city watches as the Maratha community raises its loud voice for justice once again.

Read More at Economictimes

Tags: Maratha quota, Manoj jarange, Mumbai protest, Reservation demand, Indefinite hunger strike, Azad maidan,

PTI

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *