US Fuel Blockade in Cuba Halts Garbage Trucks, Streets Overflow with Waste
February 17, 2026
Cuba faces a growing waste crisis as a US-imposed fuel blockade stops many garbage trucks. Only 44 of Havana’s 106 rubbish trucks have fuel to run, causing trash to pile up on streets and corners. Reuters, citing state media Cubadebate, reports waste is accumulating in Havana and other towns. Resident Jose Ramon Cruz told Reuters, “It’s all over the city. It’s been more than 10 days since a garbage truck came.”
The fuel shortage hits after the US cut vital oil supplies that Cuba once got from Venezuela. This move follows a failed US raid and attempted abduction of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. President Donald Trump called Cuba a “failed nation” on Monday, saying, “They don’t even have jet fuels to get their aeroplanes to take off, they’re plugging up their runway.” He also urged Cuba to “make a deal,” warning about a “humanitarian threat.”
Trump recently signed an order to sanction any country supplying oil to Cuba, tightening the economic chokehold. However, when asked if the US plans to remove Cuba’s government like in Venezuela, he said, “I don’t think that will be necessary.”
Meanwhile, Mexico sent two navy ships carrying 800 tonnes of humanitarian aid to Cuba last week. Spain plans to channel aid to Havana through its development agency and the United Nations. Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares met Cuba’s Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla in Madrid. Rodriguez condemned “the violations of peace, security and international law and the increasing hostility of the United States against Cuba.” He has also visited China and Vietnam to seek support amid the US blockade.
Read More at Aljazeera →
Tags:
Cuba
Us Fuel Blockade
Waste Crisis
Havana Rubbish
Donald trump
Sanctions
Comments