US Judge Blocks Re-Detention of Wrongfully Deported Salvadoran Kilmar Abrego Garcia
February 18, 2026
A US federal judge has stopped the Trump administration from re-detaining Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran man wrongfully deported last year. Judge Paula Xinis said the 90-day detention window ended without any real plan to deport Garcia. The government had threatened to send him to African countries like Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, and Eswatini, but had no real way to make this happen. She said the administration “made one empty threat after another to remove him to countries in Africa with no real chance of success.” She concluded, “there is no ‘good reason to believe’ removal is likely in the reasonably foreseeable future.” Garcia’s lawyers argue he is being punished because his wrongful detention embarrassed the government. Garcia was wrongly sent to El Salvador, where he was kept in harsh prison conditions. His case became a major issue against Trump’s immigration policies, which often ignored proper legal steps. The Trump administration wrongly accused Garcia of being part of the criminal gang MS-13 without providing evidence. When public anger grew over his deportation, a court ordered his return to the US, which happened in June. The government later charged him with human smuggling, charges Garcia denies. This ruling is a key win for Garcia and a setback for the administration’s efforts to deport him again.
Read More at Aljazeera →
Tags:
Kilmar Abrego Garcia
Wrongful Deportation
Trump administration
Us immigration
Federal Judge
Deportation
Comments