Rising US-Iran Tensions and Houthi Threats Stoke Ramadan Fears in Yemen
February 19, 2026
In Yemen's capital, Sanaa, tensions between the Houthis and the US are stirring fears just before Ramadan. Last year, a US air strike hit a hall where Ahmed Abdu was delivering food. The explosion injured nine civilians and destroyed his motorbike. This event forms part of Operation Rough Rider, a US-led campaign that killed at least 224 civilians in two months.
As Ramadan approaches, many like Ahmed are worried. He said, "I do not know whether this calm will continue in this Ramadan, or we will relive the intimidating war surprises we endured last year. Such an uncertainty is worrisome."
Days ago, Houthis held a mass protest in Sanaa under the slogan "Steadfast and ready for the next round." They voiced strong backing for Iran and Hezbollah against the US and Israel. Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, a Houthi political bureau member, warned the US not to attack Iran. He said, "We are men of action, not words," and called such aggression a trigger for a full-scale regional war.
Many Yemenis fear this could again invite US strikes on their land. Construction worker Faisal Abdulkareem recalled last Ramadan when a missile hit his neighbour's kitchen nearby. He said, "We fasted from food and drink last Ramadan, but not from fear and grief."
Houthi chief Abdel-Malik al-Houthi accused the US and Israel of trying to dominate the Middle East by attacking Iran. "This is something that no human being with even a shred of humanity or human dignity left can accept," he said.
Yet, some Yemenis, like law student Ammar Ahmed, see risking peace for Iran’s cause as unfair. Ammar warned, "Even if the Houthis intervened, their missiles or drones would not cripple the US military. They will only bring us trouble."
Analysts link the Houthis closely with Iran and see their involvement as a trigger for further conflict in Yemen. Abulsalam Mohammed of the Yemeni Abaad Studies said, "Houthi involvement in any US-Iran military conflict would only accelerate anti-Houthi operations by Saudi Arabia and the Yemeni government."
United Nations envoy Hans Grundberg stressed the need for a wide political settlement to achieve lasting peace. He said, "Without a wider negotiated political settlement to the conflict, gains will continue to remain vulnerable to reversal."
For Ahmed Abdu, peace is the only hope. "During Ramadan last year, I lost my source of income, the motorbike, in an air strike. That loss could be replaced. I only wish a peaceful Ramadan this year and a lasting end to the war," he said.
Read More at Aljazeera →
Tags:
Yemen
Houthis
Us-Iran Conflict
Ramadan Violence
Sanaa
Air strikes
Comments