The death toll from the huge fire in Hong Kong’s Wang Fuk Court apartment complex has risen to 146. Investigators found more bodies inside the burnt buildings, including on rooftops and in dark apartments. Hong Kong police officer Cheng Ka-chun said, “It is so dark inside, and because of the low light, it is very difficult to do the work.” Four of the seven buildings have been searched so far. Another 30 bodies were found recently, including 12 previously discovered but not recovered, according to police casualty unit head Tsang Shuk-yin. Around 100 people remain missing and 79 are injured. Flowers and handwritten notes form a growing memorial as locals mourn. Lian Shuzheng said, “This really serves as a wake-up call for everyone, especially with these super high-rise buildings.” The fire began on Wednesday and was put out by Friday. The cause is still unknown. Authorities are investigating if fire codes were broken. The buildings were covered in bamboo scaffolding and nylon nets during renovations, with windows blocked by polystyrene panels. The government ordered safety checks and halted work on 28 projects by the contractor Prestige Construction + Engineering Company. The company did not respond to calls. Wang Fuk Court has eight buildings with nearly 2,000 apartments and more than 4,600 residents. Many affected are now in shelters or hotels. Jeffery Chan, a visitor to the memorial, said, “It’s heartbreaking. Seeing people lose their families and everything in one night is unbearable.” In Beijing, the emergency ministry began nation-wide safety inspections of high-rise buildings, focusing on scaffolding, fire nets, and fire equipment. This fire is Hong Kong's deadliest since a 1948 warehouse blaze that killed 176 people.