A severe storm struck New Zealand’s North Island this weekend, leaving 30,000 homes without power. One man was found dead in a submerged vehicle on a highway after heavy rains and strong winds battered the region. The capital, Wellington, saw about 10,000 power outages. Domestic media reported some flights resumed in the afternoon at Wellington Airport, but many cancellations remained. Air New Zealand paused flights at Wellington, Napier, and Palmerston North airports, hoping to resume services once conditions improve later Monday. Flooded neighborhoods, fallen trees, and damaged roads appeared as waters began to recede. Marilyn Bulford from Bunnythorpe said the weather was “absolutely terrifying.” “I’ve never seen huge trees blowing around this much,” she told The New Zealand Herald. “It’s so bad. I haven’t seen anything like it.” Emergency services had a busy night, with Wellington region calls making up more than half, according to Ken Cooper, assistant national commander. Schools were closed and motorists urged to avoid roads due to damage. Authorities warn more heavy rain is expected as the storm moves to New Zealand’s South Island east coast on Tuesday. Raw sewage from a recent wastewater plant failure was washed onto Wellington’s south coast, called a "poonami" by some residents on social media. The low-pressure system has battered various regions since the weekend. This storm follows last month’s deadly landslide on the North Island’s east coast that claimed six lives.