Gabon has suspended social media platforms "until further notice" due to the spread of false information and harmful online content. The High Authority for Communication (HAC) announced this on Tuesday, citing "cyberbullying" and the "unauthorised disclosure of personal data" as key reasons. Although not naming specific platforms, popular services like WhatsApp, Facebook, and TikTok are reportedly affected. The suspension comes as Gabon faces growing social unrest. Teachers and civil servants have been striking over pay and workplace issues. Reports on Wednesday morning showed partial disruptions to platforms such as Facebook and TikTok. Jean-Claude Mendome, HAC’s spokesperson, said the online spread of "inappropriate, defamatory, hateful, and insulting content" threatens social cohesion and national security. He added such content "undermines human dignity, social cohesion, the stability of the republic's institutions, and national security." Despite the ban, Mendome emphasized that "freedom of expression, including freedom of comment and criticism," remains a "fundamental right enshrined in Gabon." Gabon’s leader, General Brice Oligui Nguema, who seized power in a 2023 coup and won last year's presidential elections with over 90% of the vote, is under pressure amid these tensions. He had promised reforms after ending decades of rule by the Bongo family. People in Gabon, especially young business owners, rely heavily on social media. A restaurant owner in Libreville said the ban will hurt his business, as almost 40% of customers come through social media promotions. Meanwhile, a taxi driver told the BBC, "There's no smoke without fire. For the authorities to take such a decision, something must have certainly prompted it." The social media shutdown reflects ongoing challenges as Gabon navigates political change and public discontent.