Hong Kong Begins Three-Day Mourning After Deadly Fire That Killed 128
November 29, 2025
Hong Kong has started a three-day mourning period following its deadliest fire in nearly 80 years. The fire at Wang Fuk Court on Wednesday killed at least 128 people. Hundreds of residents are still missing. Eight people have been arrested for suspected corruption linked to renovation work on the buildings, and three others face manslaughter charges.
On Saturday morning, city leader John Lee and other officials held a moment of silence outside government headquarters. Flags of China and Hong Kong flew at half-mast. Memorial spots across the city have been set up for the public to sign condolence books and pay respects.
The fire spread quickly through seven of the eight tower blocks at Wang Fuk Court. Over 2,000 firefighters worked nearly two days to control the blaze. Authorities have not yet confirmed the cause but said polystyrene and protective netting on windows helped the fire spread. Bamboo scaffolding common in Hong Kong was also present.
An investigation is underway, with police collecting evidence. Many residents have complained about broken fire alarms and poor safety during the renovation. The Independent Commission Against Corruption said some arrested include engineering company directors and scaffolding subcontractors.
Chris Sun, Hong Kong’s Labour and Welfare Secretary, said his department made 16 safety checks at Wang Fuk Court since July last year.
Built in 1983, Wang Fuk Court had nearly 2,000 apartments for about 4,600 people, according to a 2021 census.
Read More at Bbc →
Tags:
Hong Kong Fire
Wang Fuk Court
Corruption Arrests
Mourning
Fire Investigation
Comments