Hong Kong Activist Blames Government Negligence for Deadly Fire, Not Bamboo Scaffolding
November 29, 2025
Finn Lau, a Hong Kong political activist, posted a strong message on social media after a tragic fire killed 128 people. Lau rejected officials' claims that bamboo scaffolding caused the fire. He said, "bamboo is fire-resistant and has been used safely for decades." He believes the blame on bamboo is just an excuse to avoid tough questions about safety rules and emergency plans.
Lau accused government departments of slow responses and ignoring past warnings about overcrowded construction sites and poor fire safety. He criticised officials for shifting blame instead of explaining why safety standards were not enforced or why the fire spread so fast in a modern city.
He pointed to the mesh netting used on the scaffolding, calling it "highly flammable" and said the government overlooked this risk. Lau also said the government pushed metal scaffolding before finishing a proper investigation.
He claimed the government ignored reports and whistleblower warnings about unsafe, flammable mesh nets at construction sites over the past year.
Earlier this week, a massive fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a high-rise block in Tai Po, Hong Kong. The fire spread over several floors quickly, with thick smoke filling the building. Firefighters evacuated hundreds of people and fought the blaze for hours before controlling it.
Several residents were treated for smoke inhalation, and emergency teams are still checking for casualties. Officials said the fire started on scaffolding wrapped in protective netting and foam panels used during renovations. Fire alarms failed, forcing residents to warn their neighbours manually.
The tragedy killed 128 people with many still missing. Finn Lau's post sparked debate over who is really responsible—government safety lapses or building materials.
Read More at Timesofindia →
Tags:
Hong Kong Fire
Finn Lau
Bamboo Scaffolding
Fire safety
Government Negligence
Construction sites
Comments